We had an enjoyable Thankgiving! We began preparing for our Thanksgiving Feast a week before...buying the much needed turkey, potatoes, dressing etc. The necessary items needed to prepare a feast tend to run low here on the island, especially on our Military Post, mililtary personal and veterans from all over the island come to shop the reasonable prices at the Commissary. So, as you can imagine the store and parking lot were extremely crammed.
On Wednesday, I prepared the Gilmore Family favorite...Grandma Unsworth's Rolls. Dallas' Grandmother loved to bake and cook, her love for doing so left behind several family recipes two of which Dallas and I used for our Thanksgiving Feast. It is a nice little tradition we have started, being so far away from family this is one of the many ways we help our children feel the presence of FAMILY. The rolls turned out HEAVENLY and I am excited to pass Grandma Unsworth's recipes onto my children.
| Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of the turkey before it was carved...let me just add that the turkey looked beautiful! You can sorta see the coloring on the wings and thighs, sorry Dallas. |
| Apple Pie |
| Cherry Pie |
Sadie also helped in the kitchen, she helped prepare the veggie dip and veggie tray and did a MARVELOUS JOB! She is ALWAYS so eager to help and I need to give/make more opportunities availiable to her.
| Sadie's Veggie Tray |
I had planned on wearing our Sunday Best for our Thanksgiving Feast to "jazz things up a bit" but, once the food was done, that became a different story...WE HAD TO DIG IN!! We wore whatever we were wearing to prepare the feast and that was OK!
| Ammon making his "crazy eyes" face! Gotta love it! He ate his Thanksgiving Feast in nothing but his pull-up diaper! Classic. |
After the movie we came home and enjoyed our delicious pies made by Dallas! We had a VERY enjoyable Thanksgiving. We are so grateful to have Dallas home, it makes ALL the difference. Last year, around this time he was at a checkpoint in Iraq eating a depressing "Thanksgiving meal", this year he is HOME with us and we are SO THANKFUL!! While eating we went around the table to share what we were most thankful for; Daddy being home, Family, and the Gospel of Jesus Christ is what topped the list. Oh, how I am so Thankful! I am trully blessed to have such a WONDERFUL FAMILY AND AN AMAZING HUSBAND!
I am sooooo proud of you BJ and I know my Mom is so proud as well! You are the first daughter-in-law to master Grandma's rolls but then you are so talented in the kitchen. Missed you all for Thanksgiving but you looked like you had a great time Love Grandma Gilmore
ReplyDeleteYou guys are Totally AWESOME!!! :) Happy Thanksgiving, and yeah... we miss you like somethin kinda crazy! Good job B on the rolls. And Dallas your killin me with that homemade Cherry Pie!!! my fav... just an fyi...if you ever want to make me one. hint hint. haha. Thanks for the post B, at least we can pretend we were there. :) love ya, Chels-
ReplyDelete